Market Place
Market Place

Portrait


The focal points of this former Free Imperial Town were the Court of a Franconian King and a Benedictine Monastery founded in the 8th century. At the heart of the town centre are the Gothic collegiate church and the market place, which, with its proud patrician houses and ancient Franconian half-timbered houses, is distinguished by an unusual degree of harmony and completeness.

Romanesque Cloister
Romanesque Cloister
Franconian Museum
Franconian Museum

Worth seeing


- Complete market-place ensemble ('Franconia's Festival Hall') with Baroque fountain (1726) and historic half-timbered and crow-step gable houses: Greifen, Kasten.
- Evangelical collegiate church (13th/14th century): replaced the Romanesque monastery church with Gothic choir, altar to the Virgin Mary (1483) with altar-wing paintings by Michael Wolgemut and carved choir seats (about 1500).
- Romanesque cloister (12th century) with 'Craftsmen's rooms' in the 1st floor; 'Cloister Plays' since 1949.
- St John's Church (about 1257) with Baroque altar (about 1680) and late Gothic tabernacle.
- Dove fountain and remains of the Old Town wall (Oberes Tor).
- Schranne (grain store) with a collection of old fire-fighting equipment.
- Forest Office Garden with Town Hall and Little Gallery.
- Casino with black jack, roulette and slot machines. Museums & exhibitions .
- Franconian museum in the former Tanner's House: very interesting museum about folk art with completely furnished rooms showing how people lived during various epochs, a collection of cultural objects and utensils used by peasants and the bourgeoisie, a rich collection of faïences (over 600 exhibits), a flax-breaking house and a forge.
- Craftsmen's rooms in the west wing of the cloister with six complete workshops furnished with original implements.
- Franconian Choral Museum with special archive and large collection of exhibits on amateur choirs.
- Art exhibitions in the Schranne as a fringe programme of the 'Cloister Plays'.
- 'Kleine Galerie' (Little Gallery) - exhibition of South German amateur artists.
-Theatre & concerts 'Cloister Plays': traditional open-air theatre in the former cloister, from mid-June to the beginning of August.

Casino
Casino

History


- 8th century AD Benedictine monastery ('Fiuchtinwanc') and the royal Franconian court.
- 1197 Conversion of the monastery into a Chorherrenstift.
- About 1200 Free Imperial City.
- 1376 Loss of Free Imperial status.
- About 1400 Construction of the town wall with three gates and 14 towers.
- 1563 Dissolution of the Chorherrenstift during the Reformation.
- 17th/18th century Official town of the margraviate of Brandenburg-Ansbach.
- 19th century Demolition of most of the town fortifications.
- Since April 2000 Casino (Bayerische Spielbank Feuchtwangen)

Guided City Tours


For english spoken tours please contact the tourist office.
touristinformation@feuchtwangen.de

In german: Stadtführung (min. 1 Person)
May to August, every saturday at 5.00 p.m.
September, Oktober and April, every sunday at 4.15 p.m.

 


Touristinformation Feuchtwangen
Marktplatz 1
91555 Feuchtwangen

Tel. 0 98 52/904-55
Fax 0 98 52/904-250
 www.feuchtwangen.de
 touristinformation@feuchtwangen.de